Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Saint Patrick 1600 - looking ahead to 2032

2032 will be the 1600th anniversary of the start of Saint Patrick's mission to Ireland. In 1932, for the 1500th anniversary, there were multiple high-level commemorations, publications, events and pageants. Perhaps something similar might be appropriate

Back in March I did a fun wee “pilgrimage” to Templepatrick beach south of Donaghadee - my first visit to St Patrick’s Rock to put my foot in his (reputed) footprint, and to see the adjacent overgrown stone entrance of the once-famous well. John and Tom came here often as boys, when the mineral-rich water could be drunk and enjoyed. Felt a bit like Moses when I took off my boot! No magical powers detected thus far. 

Many thanks to Shirley Cochrane for organising - I’ve wanted to see this for many years. Delighted to have done so on St Patrick’s Day. Portpatrick is on the opposite shore, so-named as tradition holds it was his point of departure from Scotland to Ireland. There should be an interpretive sign at the car park here before the local traditions are lost.














0 comments: