Sunday, May 11, 2008

Battle of Bothwell Bridge

Loughries True Blues LOL 1948 sent me this photo of the back of their banner - commemorating the Battle of Bothwell Bridge, 1679. Thousands of Covenanters died here, most in the mayhem that took place after the battle was over. ( a song lyric recalls that "5000 Covenanters were chaffed before the wind / that roared upon us from the fires of Hell / and Claverhouse and Monmouth / for pleasure maimed and killed / and I saw things no man should ever tell")

I don't think there are many Orange/Black Covenanter themed banners in Ulster (there are scores of them in Scotland), but I hope that this year's work will identify a wheen mair.

(Jack called in yesterday, gave me a copy of The Puritan Hope by Iain Murray, and we had good banter for an hour or so. It's always reassuring to know there are other nutters in the world and that it's not just me!)

0 comments: