Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Happed up

#alttext# I had a client meeting in snowy Belfast yesterday, and when I arrived everyone else was already there, and they'd decided to keep their coats and scarves on. So I said "you're all well happed up!" which then triggered a conversation about Ulster vocabulary. W. H. Patteron's Glossary of Antrim and Down (1880) defines "hap" as follows:

Hap, (1) sb. a covering, as a cloak or a blanket
(2) v. to cover; to wrap up in muffling or bed-clothes

I hope you're all weel happed up this weather! For those of you who need an extra quilt, this one on eBay might be just the thing.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

My Dad always happed the babies of the family up. I never knew where he got it from but my Grandfather was born in Ireland so now it makes sense. My Dad passed away 6 years ago and myself age 42, it just occurred to me to Google it. Thank you.