Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Objections to Ulster-Scots - the topics

Last post of today, and it might whet your appetite - here's a summary of the forthcoming series of posts:

Part One: because I didn't grow up wearing tartan or eating haggis and to start doing that now would be ridiculous

Part Two: because the media makes Ulster-Scots look stupid and controversial

Part Three: because the Ulster-Scots "industry" itself makes Ulster-Scots look stupid and controversial

Part Four: because the whole language / dialect debate is ridiculous

Part Five: because it's just a politically motivated recent invention

Part Six: because it doesn't really exist "on the ground"

Part Seven: because I know quietly, inside, that I am an Ulster-Scot, but I don't feel any affinity with what is now packaged and presented to me as Ulster-Scots culture and heritage

Part Eight: because Ulster-Scots stuff is all low-quality and Mickey Mouse

There may be other posts to follow. Some of the above are the opinions of people I know - others are my own opinion. Speaking freely on these topics could also get me into some serious hot water with a wide range of people, but the appeal of blogging is that it provides an independent, unedited, uncensored platform. Keep checking back over the coming weeks to see the articles unfold...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Part 7 seems to be a common excuse used to dismiss evangelical Christianity