Friday, December 08, 2023

Catching up

This is a bit of a departure from the usual content here. At nearly 52, Hilary and I are almost 'empty nesters' but not quite yet. There are things that I am looking forward to, but there are so many things that I miss, or that I completely missed the significance of until they were over. There are people I miss who are no longer with us. There are moments which will never return. I miss the three wee excited faces that used to bring me their discoveries every day, overflowing with enthusiasm. Now I see the bruises of life's inevitable experience denting their joys. The 'sweet pain' of nostalgia.

I have also, unexpectedly, been catching up and reconnecting with some folk that I knew many decades ago, back in my teenage years, and that has been deeply enriching. Occasional hours of coffee and lunch. Some of their circumstances are tragic, yet sharing a weakness turns out to be far more impressive than boasting of a success. It has been a surprise to find out that now-departed friends told others, when we were all young and (relatively) carefree, that they held me in high regard. The ripples of short-lived friendships from 35 years ago still being felt. I had no idea.

Similarly, a number of people made a lasting impression on me early in life. It has taken years for me to understand this, and neither they nor I realised their influence at the time, but it has - to use a whisky metaphor - matured in the cask. So I have started to make a point of telling those people, when our paths cross. It's a bit awkward, but worth the risk. 

I have always tried to impress on our children the importance of gratitude. I am learning more about gratitude every day. Life is fast, time is short. Next thing you know you're 52 and wondering where it all went, and what might be next – "... a lot of years of 'Remember When?'s - and still some down the road ...".

0 comments: