Tuesday, March 07, 2017

When the Psalms are your life

E47ebe65d594a2ec5f7f5648145c5e42 1

We learn the Psalms as words on pages, as songs, as memorised Scriptures. But when in 1740s Pennsylvania, having already crossed the Atlantic, you decide to pack up your family and meagre belongings and head south into the unknowns of the Shenandoah Valley, a place where no European had ever been before ... suddenly the words of Psalm 23, learned as a child and still as firm as granite in your memory, must have taken on a vast new weight and solemnity. 

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.” – Psalm 23:4

1 comments:

gutcher said...

"We"d Better Bide Awee"--a real tear-jerker--have not heard it sung for monies a lang year.
Composed by an English lady, who, as far as I am aware, never visited Scotland.