Tuesday, March 04, 2008

"It's Rangers For Me"


I'll never play at Ibrox, and I've only ever been to the great stadium a handful of times. So to be quoted in a book dedicated to Rangers is quite something for me.

I'm on page 128, right in the top left corner, in Chris Williamson's chapter entitled "Rangers and the Ulster Scots".

I only started following Rangers when I was about 12 - it was 1984 - I couldnt work out why all the boys in my year at school were wearing white Umbro shorts for PE that had a funny monogram on the leg. I'd never seen it before; it was of course the world-famous "RFC" crest.

At that point, Jock Wallace was the manager, the Rangers News was a two colour newssheet, the kit sponsor was CR Smith (a Glasgow double glazing firm) and they weren't winning much. Nevertheless most Saturday nights were spent desperately trying to tune the tv into BBC Scotland so we could watch the Rangers highlights on "Sportscene" rather than the English football on "Match of the Day"!

4 comments:

Colin Maxwell said...

I'm on page 128, right in the top left corner, in Chris Williamson's chapter entitled "Rangers and the Ulster Scots".

Come on... gie us the quote!

Mark Thompson said...

Ah now!!

Mark Thompson said...

It's pretty mundane really, just a line from one of my Hamilton & Montgomery 400 articles that appeared in the Agency newspaper in December 2006

John Killian said...

Brother Mark, my son and I pull for the Rangers--even though we live here in Alabama (US). I talked with a lady from Wales and when I mentioned the Rangers, she automatically assumed that I am a Protestant and a Unionist. That is why we love to see the Rangers score.